The Application Process of Turkish Citizenship Through Investment
With the decision published in the O cial Gazette dated 19.09.2018, the nancial and investment costs in the process of transition to the Turkish citizenship were reduced. Accordingly, the foreigners who have purchased real estates at least USD 250.000 worth in Turkey will be able to directly become Turkish citizens.
• How the application process to Turkish citizenship works?
If you purchase real estate at least USD 250.000 worth, your application for Turkish citizenship will be processed with your application to the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadaster. e General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadaster checks whether the properties sold are worth at least USD 250.000. (You have to prove that you have purchased a property at an amount of USD 250.000 from a real estate company licensed by CMB (Capital Market Board). e report you receive from any real estate agency or consultancy company shall not be valid.) e Directorate of Land Registry gives approval for citizenship between 3 and 7 days. Once your application is approved, you must apply to the Immigration O ce for a residence permit without an appointment. A er the approval of the Immigration O ce, you must apply to the General Directorate of Population and Citizenship A airs in the same day with the approval document and residence permit. e process following the title deed application is followed in the Citizenship Information O ces located in İstanbul and Ankara. Your application shall be completed between 46 and 60 days.
• Is it also possible for my family to become Turkish citizens?
Yes. You, your spouse and all your children under the age of 18 can become Turkish citizens.
• Can I purchase more than one real estate to reach the limit of US$ 250.000?
You can purchase more than one real estate with a total value of at least USD 250.000. But you should apply for all at the same time. Your application for citizenship is accepted only if the values declared to the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadaster are above USD 250.000.
• What is the responsibility of the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization?
The real estate appraisers con rm whether the worth of the real estate is more than USD 250.000. e Ministry requests the “entailed estate annotation” from the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadaster. e payment of the real estate that you purchased must be made by bank transfer to the property owner.
• How should I calculate the USD and TL exchange rates?
The value of the immovable on USD basis shall be calculated by the Land Registry and Cadaster General Directorate over e ective selling price of the CBRT on the date of sale.
• How long does it take to conclude the citizenship process?
If the documents required for citizenship applications are complete, your application shall be concluded within 45 to 60 days. e government has opened private o ces to reduce this time.
• Shall I acquire citizenship when I meet all the requirements?
The process of citizenship approval depends on the fact that you do not pose a threat to national security and this is verified and finalized through national security archives.
• Can I acquire Turkish citizenship by purchasing a rent- guaranteed commercial property?
You can purchase any real estate with a total value of USD 250.000 or above.
• I do not have time to come to Turkey. How can I get Turkish citizenship?
You can have this process made without coming to Turkey by giving power of attorney to a trusted consulting company.
• How many people can apply for a title deed?
Only one person and rst degree relatives (spouse and children under 18) can acquire citizenship.
• I have purchased real estate in Turkey before. Now can I apply for citizenship?
The application can be made with real estate purchases and investments realized a er 18.09.2018.
• Do I have to waive my existing citizenship when I become a Turkish citizen?
No. Depending on your own state regulation, Turkish laws permit dual or multiple citizenship.
• The process of citizenship can last for 2 months. Can I obtain a residence permit during this process?
Once your application is approved, you and your 1st degree family members will be granted a residence permit on the same day without any waiting period. (No. 6458/31-J)
• Is it possible to have dual citizenship in Turkey?
Yes, Turkey allows dual citizenship, but you should consult with your consulate of your own nationality. Some countries, such as India, China and Saudi Arabia may impose restriction on dual citizenship.
• How can I become a Turkish citizen if I am not a citizen of any country (stateless, heimatlos)?
You can apply for Turkish citizenship when you purchase a property with a value of at least USD 250.000 together with a proof of your heimatlos (travel document issued by the United Nations).
• Is there any critical point to know?
The ministry wants to ensure that the minimum value is USD 250.000. Certi ed real estate appraisers value real estate to prevent price fraud. ere may be deviations of up to 20% between the sales price and the valuation. erefore, we recommend that you make calculations by taking this fact into account and purchase the real estate accordingly.
A Process of Being a Turkish Citizen by Making Investment
Documents Necessary to Apply for the Turkish Citizenship Through Investment
- Application form
- ID card of the country of citizenship (passport, ID card, birth
certificate, identity register copy and etc.)
- 4 passport photos per each family member
- Birth certificate
- Valid residence permit or a valid tourist visa on your passport
- If married, the identity cards of the spouse and children under 18, if any, and the original o cial documents proving family ties (marriage certificate, birth certi cates of children).
- If the spouse or relatives are Turkish citizens, photocopy of ID cards and residence addresses in Turkey
- Payment receipt for application
- Valuation report
- Receipt illustrating the payment of USD 250.000
- Title deed or the notarized commitment to purchase property